Tuesday, February 16, 2016

BR: Go Set a Watchman

BR (Book Review)
One of the gifts I received this year for Christmas was the sequel to "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, it's called "Go Set a Watchman"

Image taken from CNBC

I read Mockingbird about two years ago and it left such a large impact on me. I thought the book was beautifully written and I thought the ideas in it were mature. Sophomore year really introduced me to intense literature because I was finally reading novels that included more grown-up ideas. (I really enjoyed "Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger - that book changed me because I was finally exposed to struggle that I could relate to my own life.)

I was so excited to be gifted Watchman because it had been a while since I had last read Mockingbird and I was eager to read about the characters again. I thought now was a good time to read the sequel because I've grown and changed the most between sophomore and senior year. Jean Louise "Scout" also changed a lot in the novel as she is now an adult and is struggling to see her world from a new perspective. I can relate to this a lot because I'll be leaving for college in 6 months, coming back to Philly, and trying to make sense of the things that have changed while I was away.

This novel still follows Scout, who prefers to be called Jean Louise now, through her adult life. The beginning starts with her coming back to Maycomb from New York to visit Atticus (her father) who has aged quite a bit. She has become more open minded and has grown a lot. The reader will begin to root for Jean Louise as she explores a romantic relationship at home and tries to grasp the change Maycomb has seen since the last time she's been there. I think that's the part of the novel I love the most, her trying to grasp the new things. There's such a large age gap between the first and second novels that the reader still needs to know what changed as well.

Jean Louise struggles with the idea of creating her own voice. In the first novel Jean Louise idolizes her father, in the second she is trying to figure out what her voice is. The novel deals with the same difficult topic as the first novel - racism, and it ultimately causes the conflict between Jean Louise and her father.

This is perfect story for those who are about to embark on a new journey in their lives. It's sort of a coming of age story for people who a bit older. I'd recommend 11th graders and older to read this novel just because I don't think that I would have been able to relate as much to Jean Louise as I am able to now. I think Mockingbird was still a very new and exciting concept for me in 10th grade. The amount that I grew between Sophomore to Junior to Senior year was tremendous in every way. I think I understand the characters in a way I wouldn't have been able to before I grew a bit more physically and intellectually.

_________________________________________________________________________________
I was so exhausted and cranky when I came home today. It's been raining a lot and I was feeling poopy to be completely honest. I couldn't start my homework so I decided to blog instead. It relaxed me at once and now I remember why I started one in the first place. I love just writing something down, it's relaxing and helps me calm down. Even if no one reads this I still feel good. Clicking the "publish" button is very satisfying.

Recently I have been reading every night before bed. Right now I'm re-reading "The Call of the Wild" by Jack London. I read it seventh grade and loved it! When I finish I'll blog that as well.

I've also been listening to some music on repeat. Mostly Love Yourself by Justin Beiber and Am I Wrong by Nico & Vinz. I never really liked Justin Beiber but his sound is so much better now and I'm surprisingly enjoying it! I guess you could say I have Bieber fever... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment