Friday, September 26, 2014

Anxiety and Panic Attacks (Part 2)

In my last post I said I visited a University today, Syracuse is the name. I absolutely loved the campus, the programs offered, and I could totally picture myself going there! This is the first school I've visited though so I can't say too much but I enjoyed the experience. However, I did have a minor panic attack while I was there. I was so overwhelmed with beginning my college search and I felt really lost and confused. I could not get over the fact that I was going to college, but I still have two years to mature and get myself ready, which I really need! After today's minor freak out on campus and a bit more major freakout once I got home, I figured it would finally be time to post this.

Guess what, there is a whole other side of me that most people don't see. Most people are surprised when I tell them I have a blog called "The Anxious Me" The response is normally- "What? You? Anxious? No way!" I've gotten pretty good with concealing my anxiety in front of people but I totally let it out when I'm with people I'm more comfortable with.
(This has nothing to do with self-confidence, I actually am pretty confident about myself, this is more just dealing with stress.)

What do I have to lose? Who, that I care about, is going to judge me for this post?

Here goes...

I recently started to get another wave of anxiety and I have since experienced a couple of panic attacks. I've started working on this blog post for a while but I didn't really want to post it until I was more comfortable sharing it as it is quite a personal topic. I've finally gathered the courage to publish this (4 months later) and I want to share a few things that have made anxiety easier for me. I find that the more knowledge I have on this topic the better I feel because at least I know it's just a panic attack and that no harm is actually being done to me.

Things to note:
You CAN NOT DIE from having a panic attack.
They only last for 5-20 mins so it's really not that long even though it might feel like years.

I think the most important thing with anxiety is to acknowledge that you have a problem, once you can do that everything else becomes easy.

First things first, what is a panic attack?
A panic attack is when your body feels like it is in danger, it then reacts by going into fight or flight mode. You can either decide to fight the "monster" or flee it. The problem is, your body is really not in danger, it was used more in cavemen days when they had to fight animals, so we don't really need that response anymore. This is why it is important to manage anxiety and panic attacks.

I looked up symptoms for Panic Attacks and Anxiety, here are some good sites!
Panic Attacks
Panic Attacks vs. Anxiety Attack

This video told me what a panic attack was and confirmed my suspicions of having had one.



My first panic attack happened while I went shopping with my friends. Instead of leaving everything behind, I returned everything I bought. I felt like I had no control over my actions and that I absolutely had to that. I was shaking the whole way home and ended up getting really sick that weekend also. (Memorial Day Weekend)

The second time I had a panic attack I was with my mom shopping at the same store (this store is very highly disorganized and I have not shopped there since for fear of another panic attack) and I just suddenly wanted to drop everything I had in my hands and walk out the door. (Much like the video above.)

Sometimes I also just feel like I need to leave the room. This has been happening quite recently in school. After I took my spanish test I felt so dizzy and short of breath that I just wanted to walk out the door. For some reason I couldn't get myself up and I just sat still even though I wanted to go which freaked me out even more. Thank god the bell rang so I could leave normally.

My anxiety is so bad that I lose my appetite and can't sleep because I get so nervous and scared.

My symptoms include:
  1. Shaking Uncontrollably
  2. Starting to get really cold
  3. Sweating
  4. Nausea
  5. Goosebumps
  6. Heart Racing a million miles a minute
  7. Blurry vision
  8. Feeling as though I am going to pass out
  9. Not being able to stand
  10. Feeling threatened and needing to leave right away or stand stock still
  11. Not having control over my mind and body- it feels as though someone else is controlling your actions and you have no power to do anything but follow


How to get over a panic attack







This video helped me with ways to relax- not targeted for anxiety but helpful non-the-less as relaxation is key in anxiety.

As well as her blog posts here and here.
Tanya Burr's blog post also helped a lot here.

Things that help me Relax:
  1. Reading some of my favorite blogs and blogging myself!
  2. Watching my favorite YouTubers
  3. Using calm.com- there is an IPhone and Android app for this that is absolutely amazing for on the go, just put in your headphones and you will be fine!
  4. Listening to Music
  5. Talking it out with my parents
  6. Writing in a notebook to help organize my thoughts
  7. Exercising- I especially love biking outside!

Do's and Don'ts for Friends
  1. If your friend is having a panic attack or feeling super anxious stay calm! There is nothing worse than having someone else freak out when you are.
  2. Do what they say! If they ask for water bring it to them, if they need to leave or stay put tell them either way is okay. (When I was with my friends and they told me we had to leave right away it made me feel so much worse because I felt trapped to do only as they said, once I told them I was having a panic attack they were understanding and stood with me until I felt better.)
  3. Remind them that it will only last a maximum of 20 minutes.
  4. Don't force them to do anything, don't tell them they have to do anything, don't make them feel rushed, don't leave them unless they want you too, don't hug them unless they ask for one. (Usually affection is nice but it makes me feel more trapped.)
  5. Don't make a big deal out of it either, during and after a panic attack the person feels very embarrassed that this is happening, doesn't want this to be happening, and doesn't need to feel worse with you laughing at them or telling them that they are acting weird or funny- trust me, they know they are acting weird, you don't need to point that out to them.
There are so many things you can be anxious about (school, social life, home life, after-school activities, time management, etc.) but managing them and eventually conquering them is key. Sometimes you can also feel anxious and get a panic attack for no reason (my problem all the time). I get overwhelmed so easily and it makes me feel worse, thinking about getting anxiety is bad too! I am trying to deal with it, but it is a long and slow process. Just remember that you are not alone!

I will most likely continue to do anxiety updates every once in a while. Please let me know if this was helpful to anyone at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment