Wednesday, June 3, 2015

How to Study for Final Exams

Finals are coming up exactly a week from now! I actually wrote this as an article for my schools newspaper and it was never published so I figured I'd just put it on my blog as useful information for everyone to benefit from.



I think this is very helpful, read on for the article!



After having taken finals for almost 3 years, I have a pretty good idea of what needs to happen in preparation for one of the most stressful weeks of the school year. Here are some tips to help you prepare and get through finals!


  1. Make sure you organize yourself for every class


The first thing I do to prepare for finals week is make a word document of all of the topics I have learned in every single class. Then I go through all of my handouts and notes for each class and organize them by topic. While this may seem extremely time consuming (it is), going through everything really helps you get a feel for what you know and what you may have forgotten because you are forced to look at the sheets and organize them. If you can’t remember learning about something, it’s probably a good idea to look over it!


  1. Make sure you get a good night’s sleep and eat breakfast


This one is the most self explanatory, yet so many people still seem to overlook it. Pulling an all nighter and studying is actually worse for you because you’re only going to remember about an hour of what you studied and on top of that you’ll be exhausted.


Another important factor is breakfast. I normally refuse to eat breakfast before school because I feel like I’m going to vomit if I do. In order to get past this I grab some nutritious food and I bring it with me to school so that when I do get hungry, I’ll have something with me. I would suggest eating yogurt with some fruit, honey, or chia seeds. You could also blend up a smoothie as well! Or just grab a granola bar or a banana on the way out the door. (The granola bar method is typically the route I choose since I normally rush out the door in the mornings.)


  1. “Dress Well, Test Well”


While jogging outfits may seem like the way to go since comfort is key, many students have discovered that dressing nicer can actually improve your test score since it tends to increase your self confidence. Try wearing a nice t-shirt with canvas or khaki shorts for a comfortable but still dressy look.


In the same way, for anyone with longer hair, keep your hair out of a ponytail! A ponytail, while an easy way to get your hair out of your face, can actually hurt your head since it’s pulling on your scalp which can cause headaches and mess you up during an exam. If you’d like to have it tied back, try braiding it or clipping it using a bobby pin.


I hope these three things will help you have a successful finals week, thanks for reading and good luck!
http://www.collegemagazine.com/dress-well-test-well-create-success-with-what-you-wear/

_________________________________________________________________________________
Surprisingly I haven't been all that anxious over my final exams this year. I think I'm so exhausted from my Junior Year at this point that I almost don't even care. Other than finals I'm a little anxious for the school year to end (weird right!).

No comments:

Post a Comment