Thursday, January 29, 2015

University of Virginia

Hi, it's been a while since I've last blogged! I've been so caught up in midterm exams and studying that I haven't really had much time too. Also, nothing interesting happened in my life during that period of time that I thought was worth blogging about.

Anyways, I went to UVA yesterday!


So I figured I'd share my experience, I'm going to start from the very beginning. The road.

UVA is a good four hours away from Philadelphia which isn't horrible, only its more like five hours because you're going through three cities (Philly, D.C., and Baltimore.) Sitting through traffic was the worst part of the drive and that's not very fun for anyone.

On the ride there my mom and I were discussing the school and she was a little hesitant because the website was a little difficult to navigate so we weren't even sure if the majors I wanted to study were even offered! (Check the about tab to learn what I'm interested in.)

However, I was determined to visit the school, one of my best friends mother attended and she always gushed about her experiences there and both of them always told me how they could picture me attending. I did my research, set up a visit, and we were finally going! I was determined to see it through, and hoped against hope that UVA would not fail all of the wonderful things I had heard.

When we finally arrived, a half hour late because of traffic (and we left at five in the morning), we got lost on the way to Peabody Hall...

We asked two students for directions and both were friendly and told us exactly where to go.

So we dashed into Peabody Hall panting, out of breath, and a little grumpy from having been in the car for so long, but still genuinely excited to tour the school and see if this was still a place I'd be interested in.

Turns out we were the only ones that came to visit the school that day (not surprising since it was a wednesday) so we didn't miss anything. I was also given an opportunity to talk to one of the deans of admissions which was slightly useful but it was super vague.

Then it was time for our tour, a really nice engineering major named Kevin showed us around. He led us to the Lawn where we saw the Rotunda (which was under construction unfortunately, I really wanted a photo with Jefferson's statue!) and he talked about Jefferson's design for the school. I think the history aspect of the school was very interesting and it really makes it a one of a kind.

Kevin told me how UVA students really take the initiative on everything and how everyone gets involved in something. The students want to have a lasting University experience which makes the vibe there so much better!

I think it was Kevin who really showed me how much UVA had to offer and it was then that I realized that my major, while not specifically offered, was still there. I just had to be on top of my education and articulate to my counselor as to what exactly I wanted to do.
(I want to go the psychology route which is easy but I also want to go the media studies route which is something I'm going to have to craft a bit more to fit what I want to do.)

While I am personally not a huge student government person, I still think that the government aspect is something I'm intrigued by, but not in the political sense. I like the leadership roles that students are so willing to take, the people are very independent but still work together which I absolutely love.

At the end of the tour Kevin wrapped it up with his horrible but incredibly funny story of his UVA tour when he was visiting schools! To give you an idea it included a very hungover tour guide and fraternity rushing week. He then stated that he loved UVA and that the people there were like family.

Conclusion: After having visited UVA It confirmed that it was definitely still on the table. The only thing is that I'd be applying out of state which is ridiculously difficult.

Location: I loved driving through Charlottesville, it's such a cute and adorable little town. I think the drive through traffic was completely made up for, the scenery was just gorgeous!


This was a very wordy blog post, more picture-y ones will be up soon! I also think I'm going to update my Hearing Loss story to make it more specific since that post is still my top grossing one!
*the picture shown was taken off of google images

No comments:

Post a Comment