Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Standardized Test Prep

So tomorrow I'm taking the PSATs and I'm getting a little anxious, (which I tend to do) so I decided that to help reduce my stress levels I would blog some tips that will help keep you (and me!) calm for any standardized test that comes your way!

1. You have to get a good nights sleep. To do well you need to be well rested- try and go for 8 or 9 hrs at least.

I know that this is where the anxiety comes in but try and listen to music, write in your anxiety notebook, read a book, drink hot chocolate before going to bed, or just hug a stuffed animal! Stay calm, you're going to be okay!









2. Eat a healthy breakfast in the morning before your test.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day right! I'm not a breakfast person, usually I just run out the door with a granola bar in my hand. On test day however, give yourself some time to eat a real breakfast. Maybe I'll even make something I had for dinner a couple of days ago..




3. Arrive on time to the testing center.

You need to give yourself time to mentally prepare yourself for what's coming up. Rushing in the door a minute before the test starts will stress you out- not what you need before the test. Just go to your testing room, pull out everything you need. Sharpen your pencils, etc. Then listen to some music or read a book and just relax.





4. Test time

When the instructor hands out the test make sure you listen to the directions being given. Focus and try your best. Remember that if you don't know the answer to a question skip it and come back to it later. (Don't guess either, if you leave it blank no points are taken away, but if you get it wrong 1/4 of a point will be taken away.) Answer the questions you know first so that you get those right. Then, when you have extra time, go back and try to work out the problems you didn't know.



5. Good Luck! I hope this helps for those of you taking the PSATs tomorrow. The same suggestions above apply for any type of standardized test you may be taking. Just remember not to freak out- it's the practice SAT, do your best and when you get your results work on the material you need to get better for the actual test.

*None of these pictures are mine- they were all taken off of Google Images*

No comments:

Post a Comment